re-purposing older NetApps?

Patrick Giagnocavo
Curious, what happens with older NetApps - is there a way to
re-purpose them that makes sense?

I have been told that the DS14MK2-AT shelves can be used as JBOD disk
shelves with regular non-Netapp-firmwared drives - is this true?  If
so, would it support the >2TB drives that are out these days?

(I have access to a 6 or 7 shelf 3070 with 56x1TB drives and some
500GB's ; what scares me is not the size of the rack, but the size of
the likely power bill! )

Cheers

Patrick
R M

Re: re-purposing older NetApps?

R M

Not sure about the shelves but I do know the SATA drives themselves seem to work just fine attached to a whitebox motherboard.  I didn't have to engage any oddball linux disk utils to alter cluster sizes or anything.

RM

RE: re-purposing older NetApps?

Timothy Naple

Patrick,

You will not be able to use larger than 2TB disks in a DS14mk2AT shelf.  This is due to a 32-bit LBA value in the firmware on the controllers.

Thank you,
Tim