lun expansion

Rhodes, Richard L.

Hello!

Data ONTAP Release 8.1.2P1 7-Mode

Luns fibrechannel attached to IBM pSeries with AIX

Vols containing luns are snapmirrored to a DR site, and also snapvaulted to another filer.

I'd like to try out resizing a lun (FibreChannel attached to AIX) to increase it's size.  Have never done this!

I know OnTap can resize a lun.  What I'm not sure about is how that works with snapmirror and snapvault relationships.  Snapmirror  is at the volume level and shouldn't care.  But snapvault in 7-mode is still at the object level - it works on the lun file.  But then, SV should just copy the new blocks.

So, I'm thinking lun expansion is no problem with SM and SV.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.

Re: lun expansion

John Stoffel-5

Richard> Data ONTAP Release 8.1.2P1 7-Mode

Richard> Luns fibrechannel attached to IBM pSeries with AIX

Richard> Vols containing luns are snapmirrored to a DR site, and also
Richard> snapvaulted to another filer.

Richard> I'd like to try out resizing a lun (FibreChannel attached to
Richard> AIX) to increase it's size.  Have never done this!

This is easy to do, esp on the netapp side.  Just grow the volume,
then grow the lun, then grow the destination volumes as well.  Simple.

Richard> I know OnTap can resize a lun.  What I'm not sure about is
Richard> how that works with snapmirror and snapvault relationships.
Richard> Snapmirror is at the volume level and shouldn't care.  But
Richard> snapvault in 7-mode is still at the object level - it works
Richard> on the lun file.  But then, SV should just copy the new
Richard> blocks.

SM/SV just see a file, and the file just changed in size, so it will
just send the changed blocks over.

Richard> So, I'm thinking lun expansion is no problem with SM and SV.

Correct.

Now you might have a problem with AIX seeing the change in the size of
the LUN.  You might need to unmount the device from whatever is using
it before it will let is be re-sized.

Sometimes it's simpler to just make a new lun with the added size and
then add it into the storage on the host (AIX) side so you can then
grow the filesystem on top of it.  But it's been years since I last
touched AIX and I don't know the details well at all.

For my solaris hosts, I need to unmount the UFS filesystem before I
can grow the device, then grow the filesystem.  Then I can re-mount,
which involves downtime.

If I had used a logical volume manager bewtween the device and the
filesystem, it would be simpler and less disruptive to grow.

Cheers,
John