head count

Tom Yates-2
anyone here using a toaster to serve /var/spool/mail, including to a mail
gateway machine (ie, not just for reading)?

any comments thereon?  particularly, what flavour of toaster, how
configured, and roughly how many mail users.

        Tom Yates - Unix Chap - The Mathworks, Inc. - +1 (508) 647 7561
                         MAG#65061  DoD#0135  AMA#461546
       1024/CFDFDE39    0C E7 46 60 BB 96 87 05  04 BD FB F8 BB 20 C1 8C

by the way, hello and welcome to all toaster owners out there.  also to
the many people from netapp who've subscribed to this list, for which,
many thanks.  hopefully this will be an information conduit without being
a high-volume pain-in-the-bum.

head count

Andrew Hobson
On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:31:08 -0500 (EST), Tom Yates
<madhatta at mathworks.com> said:

> anyone here using a toaster to serve /var/spool/mail, including to a mail
> gateway machine (ie, not just for reading)?

We're using a scheme similar to the qmail maildir format to store the
mail (each message in a different file in the user's directory) so
that we don't have to worry about file locking via NFS.  All access is
via POP.

> any comments thereon?  particularly, what flavour of toaster, how
> configured, and roughly how many mail users.

We are using a F540 with 256MB of cache and about 36GB of disk.  We
have two 500 Mhz Alphas and one PPro 200 as MX machines doing about
700,000 messages a day to over 100,000 mail users.  Two 500 Mhz Alphas
run pop daemons.

Works like a dream.

Drew

--
"Joe, release me from your Kung-Fu grip." -- Stacy Lavelle

head count

Ketil Kirkerud
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text
Size: 881 bytes
Desc: not available

head count

Tom Yates-3
On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Ketil Kirkerud wrote:

>    From: Tom Yates <madhatta at mathworks.com>
>
>    anyone here using a toaster to serve /var/spool/mail, including to a mail
>    gateway machine (ie, not just for reading)?
>
> Yep. Currently a F330 with 24 disks, 8MB NVRAM, 256MB RAM, 100BaseT network.
> This server handles mail and home directories for approx. 60K users.
> We're currently running (relatively) stock sendmail and popper.
> This works quite well. The mail problem is with the way popper
> handles mailboxes, but we're not blaming Netapp for that.
> (We'd _love_ to be able to change to a file-per-message mailbox format,
> but this is currently not really feasible - som people read mail from spool,
> and the programs that to this will have to be rewritten to use pop)

*eight* Mb NVRAM.   that's interesting.

i'm running an F330 with 18 discs, 128MB RAM, fddi and *2*Mb NVRAM,
serving POP mail to about 600 users and it's being nearly ground into the
dust.  yes, POP's insane method of mailbox handling is the root cause of
the problem (imho), but short of grieving qualcomm to get them to support
IMAP, and grieving the users to get them to trim their INBOXes down a bit
(well, a lot), i'm wondering if i might do better with a little more
NVRAM.  RAM i think i'm ok on, because the cache seems to be fine (5-10s)
most of the time.  how does one test for a shortage of NVRAM?

sthaug@nethelp.no
> how does one test for a shortage of NVRAM?

Run 'sysstat 1'. If the writes are spaced out (there are intervals with no
writes), you probably have enough NVRAM. If you have continuous writes, you
probably need more NVRAM.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

FilerView?

Jim Davis-5
Anyone tried the filerview utility?  It doesn't seem to like our filer
password.