automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get

automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get

Iluhes
Folks,
I have situation that SP firmware was upgraded after just "Get" of software
system node image get -node * -package http:// and nothing else.
It caused the SP to upgrade and watchdog reset some nodes as well.
Is there a reason for that?
Anyone ever come across this issue.

Re: automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get

Tim McCarthy
What platform? what was the original release? did you read the upgrade info?

There were situations, if I recall, that dictated a specific way to upgrade and in some instances, you could not skip release and certain releases are tied to certain releases of ONTAP.

--tmac

Tim McCarthy, Principal Consultant

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 8:10 AM, Iluhes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks,
I have situation that SP firmware was upgraded after just "Get" of software
system node image get -node * -package http:// and nothing else.
It caused the SP to upgrade and watchdog reset some nodes as well.
Is there a reason for that?
Anyone ever come across this issue.

Re: automatic SP firmware upgrade after system node image get

Tim McCarthy
Sounds like maybe you hit this....

SP firmware upgrade initiated by Data ONTAP can sometimes result in the SP issuing NMI and L2 watchdog reset, resulting in Data ONTAP reboot
When Data ONTAP automatically updates the Service Processor (SP) firmware
 from most of earlier releases to Data ONTAP 8.3.1, there is a possibility
 that the SP incorrectly triggers the watchdog and reboots Data ONTAP.
 This issue might occur on all platforms.

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Iluhes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you! I am lost by that KB. What does it mean?>= DATA ONTAP upgrade SP firware from most of earlier relases to DATA ONTAP 8.3.1
What is being upgraed? ONTAP or SP?
And all we did is issue "Get" on SP firmware...The KB, the way is worded, I dont understand....What is a sequience of events or condition

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:55 AM, tmac <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Basically, if you are running *any* version of ONTAP before 8.3.1, you may (or may not) hit this bug when the Service-Processor is automatically updated:

shahqnetapp::> system service-processor show -fields autoupdate-enabled
node             autoupdate-enabled
shanetapp8020-01 true
shanetapp8020-02 true
shanetapp8060-03 true
shanetapp8060-04 true

In most systems, this is set to true. When Data ONTAP sees a newer SP_FW.zip file is available on the system, it will attempt to automatically upgrade the SP. There is communication between ONTAP and the SP to direct ONTAP to initiate the SP upgrade.

Does that help?

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Iluhes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim,
Briliant! Thank you for clarifying....Terrible setting to have in place, and I found the wrong way....auto-update!!!