adding new SAS loop

Peter D. Gray

Hi people,

anybody know if adding hot adding new SAS loop onto an 8000 series with
ontap 8.3 cluster mode is supported? If yes, where is this fact documented?

(as opposed to added a new shelf into an existing loop which I know
is supported)

Regards,
pdg

Re: adding new SAS loop

Tim Parkinson
Peter,

Yes, it's supported
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMP1119629 "To an
existing SAS HBA or onboard SAS port"

Cheers,

Tim

On 17 June 2016 at 07:09, Peter D. Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> anybody know if adding hot adding new SAS loop onto an 8000 series with
> ontap 8.3 cluster mode is supported? If yes, where is this fact documented?
>
> (as opposed to added a new shelf into an existing loop which I know
> is supported)
>

> Regards,
> pdg

RE: adding new SAS loop

andrei.borzenkov@ts.fujitsu.com
There is no difference between adding new loop and adding new shelf. In both cases controller is going to see new disks appearing on some SAS adapter. If anything adding new loop is less disruptive because you do not need to temporary break path redundancy for existing disks.

I do not know if this is explicitly mentioned anywhere as special case; it sounds to me more like "do not put pets in microwave" sort of things :)

---
With best regards

Andrei Borzenkov
Senior system engineer
FTS WEMEAI RUC RU SC TMS FOS

FUJITSU
Zemlyanoy Val Street, 9, 105 064 Moscow, Russian Federation
Tel.: +7 495 730 62 20 ( reception)
Mob.: +7 916 678 7208
Fax: +7 495 730 62 14
E-mail: [hidden email]
Web: ru.fujitsu.com
Company details: ts.fujitsu.com/imprint
This communication contains information that is confidential, proprietary in nature and/or privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient(s), please note that any form of dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please be advised that neither Fujitsu, its affiliates, its employees or agents accept liability for any errors, omissions or damages caused by delays of receipt or by any virus infection in this message or its attachments, or which may otherwise arise as a result of this e-mail transmission.