accessing service processor

Rhodes, Richard L.

Hello,

This is probably really dumb, but I'm stumped.

I've been working on a support case with IBM (nSeries).  They asked me to get some info from the service processor.  So I ssh to the SP, get a prompt, try and login as naroot (using root's pwd), which fails.

The last time I tried to ssh and log onto a SP was when these systems were setup +2 years ago. Back then it worked.   Since then we've regularly rolled the root password every X months.  It's my understanding that naroot at the service processor uses the OnTap root password.

I've tried to access the SP on several nSeries system and they all fail the same way.

IBM nSeries N3220 (NetApp FAS2240)

OnTap 8.1.2P1 7-mode

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Rick

What I've done:

- I know the root password - I used it to log onto the filer on the main interface

  Using username "root".

  root@filerxxxx's password:

  filerxxxx>

- It's status is online

    filerxxxx> sp status

        Service Processor           Status: Online

                Firmware Version:   2.1.1

                Mgmt MAC Address:   xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

                Ethernet Link:      up, 100Mb, full duplex, auto-neg complete

                Using DHCP:         no

        IPv4 configuration:

                IP Address:         xxx.xx.xx.xxx

                Netmask:            255.255.255.0

                Gateway:            xxx.xx.xx.x

       IPv6 configuration:         Disabled

- all hosts are allowed to access the sp

  filerxxxx> options sp

  sp.autologout.enable         on

  sp.autologout.timeout        60

  sp.setup                     on

  sp.ssh.access                *

- it pings

- it gives a login prompt, but it doesn't take the root password

 ssh naroot@filerxxxxs

 naroot@filerxxxxs's password:

 Permission denied, please try again.

 naroot@filerxxxxs's password:

- I've tried ssh to the SP via the DNS name (filerxxxxs) and the IP (xxx.xx.xx.xxx)

- I am aware of the 15min timeout period on 6 unsuccessful login attempts.

- I've tried ssh via putty from a Win laptop, and, ssh from an AIX system.

  Both give the same result - it naroot/root password doesn't work.

- I rebooted the SP

  filerxxxx> sp reboot

  NOTE : If your console connection is through the SP,it will be disconnected

  Do you want to reboot the SP now? (y/n) :? y

  Console connection through the SP will now be dropped

- Reboot didn't help - still can't login as naroot with root's password

  ssh naroot@filerxxxxs

  naroot@filerxxxxs's password:

  Permission denied, please try again.

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.

RE: accessing service processor

Jordan Slingerland

Can you login to the primary  mgmt. interface as root? Do you have another admin account you can try?

Re: accessing service processor

Tim McCarthy
If possible....
Try a serial connection, then press control-g and then try logging into the service processor

Maybe you should re run the service processor setup and see if that helps.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

_____________________________

RE: accessing service processor

Stephen Stocke-2

Rick,

I seem to recall there being a limit to the length of the naroot password and the SP truncates the password to the first 16 characters of the root password.  Do have a root password >16 characters?

-Steve

[...]

This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by MailMarshal

DISCLAIMER: This email communication does not create or vary any contractual relationship between LogicalisCI and you. Internet communications are not secure and accordingly LogicalisCI does not accept any legal liability for the contents of this message. The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient at the email address to which it has been addressed. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than this addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If received in error, please contact LogicalisCI on the above number (listed as Main) quoting the name of the sender and the addressee and then delete it from your system. Please note that neither LogicalisCI nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan the email and attachments (if any). Please be aware that LogicalisCI may monitor email traffic data and also email content for security purposes.

The following companies are collectively referred to in the above statements as LogicalisCI:

Logicalis Channel Islands Limited, Registered in Jersey No: 67161, Registered Office: Rue A La Dame, Five Oaks, St. Saviour, Jersey, JE2 7NH

Logicalis Jersey Limited, Registered in Jersey No: 10124, Registered Office: Rue A La Dame, Five Oaks, St. Saviour, Jersey, JE2 7NH

Logicalis Guernsey Limited, Registered in Guernsey No: 10896, Registered Office: Pitronnerie Road, St. Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 2RF

Re: accessing service processor

John Clear-3
Have you tried rebooting the SP?  Looks like you might be hitting this
BURT: http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=663200

I've seen the SP lose sync with the filer passwords in the distant
past, and IIRC there is a command to resync the passwords besides
rebooting, but I'm not finding it on NOW.

Another thing to try is creating a new admin user and logging in to the
SP with that account.

John

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 06:31:59PM +0000, Rhodes, Richard L. wrote:

> [...]
>   Do you want to reboot the SP now? (y/n) :? y
>   Console connection through the SP will now be dropped
>
> - Reboot didn't help - still can't login as naroot with root's password
>
>   ssh naroot@filerxxxxs
>   naroot@filerxxxxs's password:
>   Permission denied, please try again.

> The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.

Could be!

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/netapp/toasters/14122

I seem to recall there being a limit to the length of the naroot password and the SP truncates the password to the first 16 characters of the root password.  Do have a root password >16 characters?

-Steve

RE: accessing service processor

Rhodes, Richard L.

Yea, our passwords are 20 char.

Trimmed to 16 char . . . trying . . . that WORKED!

Something else to remember!

Thanks Everyone!