VMWare vswap files

mrlizard23

What are everyones thoughts about best practices on separating VMWare vswap files from the VM ?

What happens if you have all the vswap’s on 1 volume \ datastore and it goes offline?

Re: VMWare vswap files

Tim McCarthy
I like to do it. It saves a little time with Storage vMotion (it does not have to relocate the memory files.
Plus, if you use SnapMirror (or vault or any snap-thingy), you are not having to replicate those bits either.

Pretty sure I've also seen it used in a number of Best Practices.

Why would your volume go offline if it is on ONTAP9?

--tmac

Tim McCarthy, Principal Consultant

Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam

I Blog at TMACsRack

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Chris Hague <[hidden email]> wrote:

What are everyones thoughts about best practices on separating VMWare vswap files from the VM ?

What happens if you have all the vswap’s on 1 volume \ datastore and it goes offline?

Re: VMWare vswap files

Ehrenwald, Ian
I’ve always created a volume/DS specifically for vSwap because it makes the size of the data needed to SnapMirror to DR smaller as well as reduce the time needed to vMotion machines.

Not really concerned about the volume being unavailable with a correctly configured HA pair.

--
Ian Ehrenwald
Senior Infrastructure Engineer

On 4/24/17, 11:26 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Chris Hague" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    What are everyones thoughts about best practices on separating VMWare vswap files from the VM ?

    What happens if you have all the vswap’s on 1 volume \ datastore and it goes offline?

This may contain confidential material. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, delete immediately, and understand that no disclosure or reliance on the information herein is permitted. Hachette Book Group may monitor email to and from our network.

Re: VMWare vswap files

VirtuallyMikeB
vSphere vswap files are often left unused. If they're stored on a dedicated datastore and that datastore goes offline, your VMs will continue to run.  I'm not sure what will happen the vswap file is in use and the datastore goes offline.  The use of dedicate datastores can come up when using array-based replication with SRM.  You can avoid sending many GB of useless vswap files if you use a dedicated datastore.  Most host-based replication tools can be configured to not replicate the vswap file and save bandwidth so there's little value in using a dedicated datastore.  In addition, if you're not overcommitting memory and have tiered storage, you can choose to put the vswap files on cheap and deep storage and not pricey flash.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Chris Hague <[hidden email]> wrote:

What are everyones thoughts about best practices on separating VMWare vswap files from the VM ?

What happens if you have all the vswap’s on 1 volume \ datastore and it goes offline?

Re: VMWare vswap files

Michael Horwath
I’m a fan of swapping to the local disk on the host.

Put an SSD there and be done.