Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

John Stoffel-5

Guys,

Has anyone put 9.1 into production yet?  And did anyone upgrade
straight from 8.2.x to 9.1?  If so, how did it go?  I'm planning on
just moving to 8.3, but I'm wondering if I should make the leap up to
9.1 instead...

It does seem like a bigger leap to make.

John

RE: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Mark Saunders
We have been running 9.1 for the past two weeks was an upgrade from 8.3.x and had no problems. We were told to think of 9.0/9.1 as 8.4 as the changes weren't that great.

Mark

AW: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Alexander Griesser-2
Hey,

yes, running multiple filers on 9.1 here - so far no issues. You cannot go directly from 8.2.x to 9.1, you need to make an intermediate stop at 8.3 and from there on you can continue to upgrade to 9.1 directly; upgrade advisor will show you exactly the steps necessary if you're unsure.
After 8.3 you do also have the cluster image update wizard which rocks big time if you ask me; I've updated like 10 HA pairs using it and it worked 100% with no issues at all.

Best,

Alexander Griesser
Head of Systems Operations

ANEXIA Internetdienstleistungs GmbH

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.anexia-it.com

Anschrift Hauptsitz Klagenfurt: Feldkirchnerstraße 140, 9020 Klagenfurt
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Windbichler

Re: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Tim McCarthy
MeThinks you must upgrade to 8.3.X first, and then onto 9.X
If I recall, you need to upgrade to the highest  level you are on (8.2 -> 8.3) Then you can jump to 9.X

--tmac

Tim McCarthy, Principal Consultant

Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam

I Blog at TMACsRack

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM, John Stoffel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Guys,

Has anyone put 9.1 into production yet?  And did anyone upgrade
straight from 8.2.x to 9.1?  If so, how did it go?  I'm planning on
just moving to 8.3, but I'm wondering if I should make the leap up to
9.1 instead...

It does seem like a bigger leap to make.

John

Re: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Christopher S Eno
Just finished going from 8.3.2 to 9.1P2.  Pretty darn smooth.  FAS2552’s, FAS8040’s, 8080’s and AFF8060’s.  Seeing noticeable improvement/gains in disk and controller utilization.

> On May 17, 2017, at 3:28 PM, John Stoffel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Guys,
>
> Has anyone put 9.1 into production yet?  And did anyone upgrade
> straight from 8.2.x to 9.1?  If so, how did it go?  I'm planning on
> just moving to 8.3, but I'm wondering if I should make the leap up to
> 9.1 instead...
>
> It does seem like a bigger leap to make.
>
> John

Re: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Tim McCarthy
The biggest gotcha from 8.2 -> 8.3 is the MGMT LIFs.
To be sure to catch this, you could also upgrade to the highest 8.2 release available for your platform.
They have checks in there to catch it as well.

Pre-8.3, MGMT info all went out the cluster managent LIF.
8.3+ -> all SVMs must have their own MGMT LIF if the SVM need to communicate outside (like DNS, Active Directory, NIS, etc)
A SAN-only SVM does not require the MGMT LIF, but why not...;put a MGMT LIF on every SVM.
Best to create a MGMT-only LIF while you are at it (no data-protocols on the LIF)
Make MGMT LIFs for management and data LIFSs for data

Go to the support site and run upgrade advisor for your systems!

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Alexander Griesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey,

yes, running multiple filers on 9.1 here - so far no issues. You cannot go directly from 8.2.x to 9.1, you need to make an intermediate stop at 8.3 and from there on you can continue to upgrade to 9.1 directly; upgrade advisor will show you exactly the steps necessary if you're unsure.
After 8.3 you do also have the cluster image update wizard which rocks big time if you ask me; I've updated like 10 HA pairs using it and it worked 100% with no issues at all.

Best,

Alexander Griesser
Head of Systems Operations

ANEXIA Internetdienstleistungs GmbH

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.anexia-it.com

Anschrift Hauptsitz Klagenfurt: Feldkirchnerstraße 140, 9020 Klagenfurt
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Windbichler

Re: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Robert Halton
I’m running 9.1P1 and no issues, we were told to skip 9.1 and go to the P1 release.

On 5/17/17, 12:37 PM, "[hidden email] on behalf of Mark Saunders" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    We have been running 9.1 for the past two weeks was an upgrade from 8.3.x and had no problems. We were told to think of 9.0/9.1 as 8.4 as the changes weren't that great.

    Mark

Re: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Steve Kirk
Hi John,
> On 17 May 2017, at 20:28, John Stoffel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Has anyone put 9.1 into production yet?  And did anyone upgrade
> straight from 8.2.x to 9.1?  If so, how did it go?  I'm planning on
> just moving to 8.3, but I'm wondering if I should make the leap up to
> 9.1 instead…

We have upgraded to 9.1 but our clusters were already running 8.3.1 or 8.3.2. All FAS8020s and FAS2552/2554. Judging by the uptime on our controllers, we’ve been running it for 3 months now with no issues, although looks like we are affected by our first bug: https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1057844

Looks quite an interesting bug…

Generally the upgrade itself went well but there was an issue on one of our clusters during the upgrade process that we suspect was related to pNFS. It was the only cluster that had an issue and the only one that had pFNS enabled.

Cheers,
Steve

AW: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Alexander Griesser-2
This has already been fixed in 9.1P1:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/9.1P1/

And 9.1P3 is available already:
http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/9.1P3

Best,

Alexander Griesser
Head of Systems Operations

ANEXIA Internetdienstleistungs GmbH

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.anexia-it.com

Anschrift Hauptsitz Klagenfurt: Feldkirchnerstraße 140, 9020 Klagenfurt
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Windbichler
> On 17 May 2017, at 20:28, John Stoffel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Has anyone put 9.1 into production yet?  And did anyone upgrade
> straight from 8.2.x to 9.1?  If so, how did it go?  I'm planning on
> just moving to 8.3, but I'm wondering if I should make the leap up to
> 9.1 instead…

We have upgraded to 9.1 but our clusters were already running 8.3.1 or 8.3.2. All FAS8020s and FAS2552/2554. Judging by the uptime on our controllers, we’ve been running it for 3 months now with no issues, although looks like we are affected by our first bug: https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1057844

Looks quite an interesting bug…

Generally the upgrade itself went well but there was an issue on one of our clusters during the upgrade process that we suspect was related to pNFS. It was the only cluster that had an issue and the only one that had pFNS enabled.

Cheers,
Steve

Re: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

John Clear-3
We have ~40 clusters running various flavors of ONTAP 9 with no
major issues, and many more updates planned once 9.1P4 releases
(ETA of June) since it has the fix for one of the minor issues we
hit.

With ONTAP 9, the naming convention for releases changed, and now
P releases are equivalent of the old second dot number.  For example,
8.3.2 in the new naming convention would be 8.3P2.  In the new naming
convention, there won't be a 9.1.1, it is 9.1P1.  For companies
that avoided P releases, they'll need to update their procedures.

Upgrading from 8.3 to 9.1 is easy with cluster image update.  This makes
it much easier to keep up with the ~monthly cadence of patch releases.

John

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 07:39:11PM +0000, Alexander Griesser wrote:

> Hey,
>
> yes, running multiple filers on 9.1 here - so far no issues. You cannot go directly from 8.2.x to 9.1, you need to make an intermediate stop at 8.3 and from there on you can continue to upgrade to 9.1 directly; upgrade advisor will show you exactly the steps necessary if you're unsure.
> After 8.3 you do also have the cluster image update wizard which rocks big time if you ask me; I've updated like 10 HA pairs using it and it worked 100% with no issues at all.
>
> Best,
>
> Alexander Griesser
> Head of Systems Operations
>
> ANEXIA Internetdienstleistungs GmbH
>
> E-Mail: [hidden email]
> Web: http://www.anexia-it.com
>
> Anschrift Hauptsitz Klagenfurt: Feldkirchnerstra?e 140, 9020 Klagenfurt
> Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Alexander Windbichler

tmac> The biggest gotcha from 8.2 -> 8.3 is the MGMT LIFs.

Yeah, this has been one of the big things I needed to address, as well
as updating routing groups for said management LIFs.

tmac> To be sure to catch this, you could also upgrade to the highest
tmac> 8.2 release available for your platform.  They have checks in
tmac> there to catch it as well.

I've been using both the pre-check script in the "system node image
update ..." commmand to check this, as well as the PowerShell script
83UpgradeCheck.ps1 which I found on the Netapp site.  A very very
useful script.

It should actually be used for general auditing as well, since it's
found a few systems using iSCSI which are only logged in via one path
on one node.  Not good for failover!

tmac> Pre-8.3, MGMT info all went out the cluster managent LIF.

Which kinda made sense, but not when you wanted to have complete
VServer independence for re-seller situations.

tmac> 8.3+ -> all SVMs must have their own MGMT LIF if the SVM need to communicate
tmac> outside (like DNS, Active Directory, NIS, etc)

tmac> A SAN-only SVM does not require the MGMT LIF, but why not...;put a MGMT LIF on
tmac> every SVM.

And now we all know why IPv4 space is running out, SVM management IPs!  *grin*

tmac> Best to create a MGMT-only LIF while you are at it (no
tmac> data-protocols on the LIF) Make MGMT LIFs for management and
tmac> data LIFSs for data

tmac> Go to the support site and run upgrade advisor for your systems!

Already did, and I'm neck deep in the 8.2 -> 8.3 planning.  I'm really
looking forward to the more automatic upgrades in the future.  Though
it will still be an issue for CIFS users.

Thanks for all the comments!
John

Re: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Steve Kirk

> On 17 May 2017, at 21:04, Alexander Griesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This has already been fixed in 9.1P1:
>
> http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/9.1P1/
>
> And 9.1P3 is available already:
> http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/9.1P3

Thanks for the info - the bug details don’t list 9.1P1 as a fixed-in version!

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Kirk
Server and Storage Administrator
CiCS - University of Sheffield
+44 (0)114 222 1125

Re: Ontap cDOT upgrade thoughts

Steve Kirk

> On 17 May 2017, at 21:44, Steve Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 17 May 2017, at 21:04, Alexander Griesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This has already been fixed in 9.1P1:
>>
>> http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/9.1P1/
>>
>> And 9.1P3 is available already:
>> http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/ontap/9.1P3
>
> Thanks for the info - the bug details don’t list 9.1P1 as a fixed-in version!

Following up on my own mail incase someone else is looking for this in future - the details are there if you actually click the ‘show all versions’ button!

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bugrellist?bugno=1057844

Cheers,
Steve