Netapp for Usenet news

Dror Matalon

Hi folks,

I saw the web pages on netapps home pages about using a netapp for
news. Any more recent experiences? What kind of configuration are you
using?

Thanks,

Dror

Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror at dnai.com

Netapp for Usenet news

sthaug@nethelp.no
> I saw the web pages on netapps home pages about using a netapp for
> news. Any more recent experiences? What kind of configuration are you
> using?

We're using an F330 as as news/overview spool, feeding it from a 167 Mhz
Axil Ultrasparc over a dedicated 100 Mbps Ethernet. The news software is
inn-1.5.1.

It's working just beautifully so far. Neither the NetApp nor the Axil
are breathing hard.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

Netapp for Usenet news

Dror Matalon

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> > I saw the web pages on netapps home pages about using a netapp for
> > news. Any more recent experiences? What kind of configuration are you
> > using?
>
> We're using an F330 as as news/overview spool, feeding it from a 167 Mhz
> Axil Ultrasparc over a dedicated 100 Mbps Ethernet. The news software is
> inn-1.5.1.
>
> It's working just beautifully so far. Neither the NetApp nor the Axil
> are breathing hard.

How many people do you have reading at the same time? Also do you use
the standard Seagate 4 gig disks? Any reason that you decided to
go for a 330 rather than a 220?

Thanks,

Dror

Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror at dnai.com

Netapp for Usenet news

sthaug@nethelp.no
> How many people do you have reading at the same time? Also do you use
> the standard Seagate 4 gig disks? Any reason that you decided to
> go for a 330 rather than a 220?

Almost no readers so far (I've counted 50). We expect this configuration
to handle several hundred readers.

Standard Seagate (Hawk) disks.

F330 mostly because of better expandability than the F220.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

Netapp for Usenet news

Esa Ahola
> I saw the web pages on netapps home pages about using a netapp for
> news. Any more recent experiences? What kind of configuration are you
> using?

Two F-540s (one for alt.*, one for everything else including overview,
active file, and history) with presently five DEC Alphastation 500/333s
with 512MB (one "writer" running INN, four reader machines that mount
the spool and invoke nnrpd out of inetd.)   We peak at about 2000
readers with room for more.

It rocks.  We're rather pleased.

See also <54m87i$167 at kaamos.mindspring.com> in DejaNews.

Esa Ahola                                       esa at mindspring.com
MindSpring Enterprises, Inc.                    404.815.0770

Netapp for Usenet news

Bruce Sterling Woodcock
> It rocks.  We're rather pleased.

It is probably also important to note the memory and NVRAM configurations
of your filers when discussing performance issues... these have a very
important impact, especially for news systems!

Bruce

--
Bruce Sterling Woodcock ------ Systems Administrator ][ sterling at netapp.com
Network & Systems Administration - Network Appliance ][ sterling at netcom.com

Netapp for Usenet news

Esa Ahola
Bruce Sterling Woodcock wrote:

> It is probably also important to note the memory and NVRAM
> configurations of your filers when discussing performance issues...
> these have a very important impact, especially for news systems!

Read cache certainly does -- halving ours from 256MB to 128MB for a
brief period had a noticeable impact on the filer load.  However, our
filers only have 2MB of NVRAM and according to sysstat, writes are
occurring at leisurely 10-second intervals.

Esa Ahola                                       esa at mindspring.com
MindSpring Enterprises, Inc.                    404.815.0770

Netapp for Usenet news

sthaug@nethelp.no
> > I saw the web pages on netapps home pages about using a netapp for
> > news. Any more recent experiences? What kind of configuration are you
> > using?
>
> Two F-540s (one for alt.*, one for everything else including overview,
> active file, and history) with presently five DEC Alphastation 500/333s
> with 512MB (one "writer" running INN, four reader machines that mount
> the spool and invoke nnrpd out of inetd.)   We peak at about 2000
> readers with room for more.

I'd be interested to hear what people do with the snapshots on a NetApp
which is used as News spool. My feeling is that it's mostly wasted -
we're not concerned with a user accidentally deleting files here.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no