Metrics collection/reporting

Christopher S Eno
Hi,

I was recently tasked with presenting latency numbers for aggrs and vols on a regular basis.  These would be numbers averaged over 30 days.

We're on cDOT 9.1P2 and OCUM is, to say the least, anemic when it comes to reporting on such things.  Performance manager will provide the numbers but doesn't have the capabilities to save them to a spreadsheet, or whatever.

What are you fellow NetApp admins using for metrics reporting these days?

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Tim Stiller
Best performance Monitoring Tool ever: http://nabox.tynsoe.org

Regards,

Tim
NetApp PSC
s.eno <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo. 12. Juni 2017 um 16:11:
Hi,

I was recently tasked with presenting latency numbers for aggrs and vols on a regular basis.  These would be numbers averaged over 30 days.

We're on cDOT 9.1P2 and OCUM is, to say the least, anemic when it comes to reporting on such things.  Performance manager will provide the numbers but doesn't have the capabilities to save them to a spreadsheet, or whatever.

What are you fellow NetApp admins using for metrics reporting these days?

RE: Metrics collection/reporting

Mark Saunders
My managers like to be able to send colourful graphs to customers so I have started to use netapp harvest and am finding it really useful.

Mark

I was recently tasked with presenting latency numbers for aggrs and vols on a regular basis.  These would be numbers averaged over 30 days.

We're on cDOT 9.1P2 and OCUM is, to say the least, anemic when it comes to reporting on such things.  Performance manager will provide the numbers but doesn't have the capabilities to save them to a spreadsheet, or whatever.

What are you fellow NetApp admins using for metrics reporting these days?

RE: [External] Metrics collection/reporting

marcel.juhnke
NetApp Harvest is a very fine tool for this.

It pushes the metrics into Graphite/Carbon and brings also Grafana Dashboard templates.

Grafana itself cannot just export the data, so you'd need to export them yourselves from Graphite.

Regards
Marcel

I was recently tasked with presenting latency numbers for aggrs and vols on a regular basis.  These would be numbers averaged over 30 days.

We're on cDOT 9.1P2 and OCUM is, to say the least, anemic when it comes to reporting on such things.  Performance manager will provide the numbers but doesn't have the capabilities to save them to a spreadsheet, or whatever.

What are you fellow NetApp admins using for metrics reporting these days?

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.teaparty.net_mailman_listinfo_toasters&d=DwICAg&c=eIGjsITfXP_y-DLLX0uEHXJvU8nOHrUK8IrwNKOtkVU&r=GcNS7tdzbD9kRwYidanFzqYRAZE92rxZs2pwJh45DL0&m=I430-bUsdm_UvrYMZBqCvHVB9Va02Op2Ajjkcw095fI&s=PM635JL4xmSQe6ZWniv12zc-E4Ovl1BOW_VNXZ2NWAo&e=

________________________________

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

TAYLOR DANIEL

Grafana is a great visual tool, should give you the averages (and many other things) you're after.  NAbox is a great easy way to deploy it too.

Allows you to select the range periods i.e. 30 days, and more importantly it helps you drill down to the problem.  It’s the sort of thing that looks great on a big screen or presentation.

Useful links:

https://grafana.com/

https://nabox.tynsoe.org/

On 12 June 2017 at 15:06 "s.eno" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I was recently tasked with presenting latency numbers for aggrs and vols on a regular basis. These would be numbers averaged over 30 days.

We're on cDOT 9.1P2 and OCUM is, to say the least, anemic when it comes to reporting on such things. Performance manager will provide the numbers but doesn't have the capabilities to save them to a spreadsheet, or whatever.

What are you fellow NetApp admins using for metrics reporting these days?

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Michael Bergman

On 2017-06-12 16:06, s.eno wrote:
> I was recently tasked with presenting latency numbers for aggrs and vols
> on a regular basis.  These would be numbers averaged over 30 days.

Intersting. And what, if I may ask (you may not have an answer), would the
person who gave you this task do with the per Aggr & Vol latency numbers if
they got them?

/M

> We're on cDOT 9.1P2 and OCUM is, to say the least, anemic when it comes to
> reporting on such things. Performance manager will provide the numbers but
> doesn't have the capabilities to save them to a spreadsheet, or whatever.
>
> What are you fellow NetApp admins using for metrics reporting these days?

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Christopher S Eno
Thanks! And agreed!  I have had Harvest running for some time.  It's just not easy, as far as I can tell, to translate those graphs to spreadsheets, etc.

Yes I can share out the dashboards and send out a link but have had problems getting that to work without requiring the viewer to need a login.

On 2017-06-12 16:14, Tim Stiller wrote:
> Best performance Monitoring Tool ever: http://nabox.tynsoe.org

That is good, yes. But the key Q is always: what is it that someone intends
to do with the [latency] numbers once they are there and can be seen?
If you have no idea what the numbers mean, how to interpret them, or indeed
if they are good or bad, then what is the point of measuring/tracking
s**tloads of counters? There are 1000s of them inside ONTAP.

I know this sounds like I'm just generally challenging the usefulness of any
and all performance metrics tracking and in a way I am -- in another way I'm
not. *I* want to see those numbers and try to learn from them, but I
generally do not want any non-experts to see them, that's my basic attitude

Explanations of causality between performance utilistaion and various
latency metrics in a highly complex technical system for the purpose of
budgeting for Capacity Management is a daunting task. I feel it has to be
kept very very simple, so simple that any layman can grasp it. Pointy Haired
boss in the IT industry cannot comprehend complex systemic relations, he's
not interested IYKWIM

/M

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Christopher S Eno
Great question, and I don't know.  :-)

This is a request from our Architecture team.

Quote:
- Quarterly
- 30 Days avg latency reports
- Aggrs, total size, used size space free.
- Aggrs, top 5 by latency
- In those aggrs, top 5 volumes by latency.
- Snapshots – volumes with snaps older than 4 weeks
- Snapmirrors in lag longer than 48 hours.
- Any outstanding issues with backups
- Anything else they want to bring up, performance, scalability or operational concerns.

On 2017-06-12 16:15, Mark Saunders wrote:
> My managers like to be able to send colourful graphs to customers so I
> have started to use netapp harvest and am finding it really useful.

Colourful graphs and blinking lights that people have no idea what they
mean... yeah. I know. I guess I'm just tired of that phenomenon

I'm mostly interested in system knowledge and actually understanding its
behaviour. Most managers are (of course) not. So why would they like to see
graphs and numbers they have no idea about the meaning of..?
A: because it looks cool.

And I suppose there's always the reverse usefulness: those numbers and
graphs can be used by me/you (us) to prove that the performance problem in
the environment is not a storage problem so you can say "please go away and
look for someone else to blame"

/M

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Christopher S Eno
To clarify, yes, I can pull Graphite graphs into, say, SharePoint and am considering this route for some things.

In fact, recent help I received from the Harvest author allowed me to create a graphical representation of inode usage in some volumes we have that are heavy inode eaters.  This is a perfect case where Harvest/Graphite is very useful for reporting purposes.

On Jun 12, 2017, at 10:27 AM, "s.eno" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

John Constable-2

You should be able to use the Graphite API to export a graph as a CSV; http://graphite.readthedocs.io/en/latest/render_api.html

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Michael Horwath

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 9:29 AM, Scott Eno <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Great question, and I don't know.  :-)
>
> This is a request from our Architecture team.
>
> Quote:
> - Quarterly
> - 30 Days avg latency reports
> - Aggrs, total size, used size space free.
> - Aggrs, top 5 by latency
> - In those aggrs, top 5 volumes by latency.
> - Snapshots – volumes with snaps older than 4 weeks
> - Snapmirrors in lag longer than 48 hours.
> - Any outstanding issues with backups
> - Anything else they want to bring up, performance, scalability or operational concerns.

I have used LogicMonitor for all of my needs for such including automated, scheduled reporting.

https://www.logicmonitor.com/

And you can easily extend things further in an easy, straightforward fashion.

Note: this isn’t free

Note: it monitors most anything and was my surprise find of 2011 when I found them.

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Christopher S Eno
Ah, interesting.  Thanks!  I've been around long enough I should know (RTFM) better. :-)

On Jun 12, 2017, at 10:34 AM, John Constable <[hidden email]> wrote:

You should be able to use the Graphite API to export a graph as a CSV; http://graphite.readthedocs.io/en/latest/render_api.html

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Bachman, Philip
Scott,

If you upgrade to OnCommand Unified Manager 7.2 (currently RC1, GA by end of month), you will find that the performance tables in the performance section are now exportable to CSV. That might make your life easier.

You will also find that Unified Manager and Performance Manager are now consolidated on a single server, with an updated UI and much improved performance.

-- Phil

Philip Bachman
[hidden email]

On 6/12/17, 10:06 AM, "[hidden email] on behalf of s.eno" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi,

    I was recently tasked with presenting latency numbers for aggrs and vols on a regular basis.  These would be numbers averaged over 30 days.

    We're on cDOT 9.1P2 and OCUM is, to say the least, anemic when it comes to reporting on such things.  Performance manager will provide the numbers but doesn't have the capabilities to save them to a spreadsheet, or whatever.

    What are you fellow NetApp admins using for metrics reporting these days?

Re: Metrics collection/reporting

Christopher S Eno
Thanks Phillip!  I did see this  last week.  It seems with the combining of OCUM and OCPM into one server the upgrade process might be a bit time consuming so I have it on the list to do once I read up on the process.  Also, don't want to lose the feed from OCPM to NetApp Harvest and haven't verified that ability still exists in the new version.

But yes, after reading the release notes I am anxious to see what this new combined server/interface looks like and test the functionality it provides.

Q: Is the automation store going to live on?  If so, will NetApp start providing new reports for OCUM/PM?  The user community doesn't appear to be that lively.

On Jun 12, 2017, at 11:10 AM, "Bachman, Philip" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The ability to send performance data remains in OCUM 7.2. The Performance Manager options have been merged into OCUM.