How does a Netapp toaster keep time?

craig Rodrigues
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text
Size: 628 bytes
Desc: not available

How does a Netapp toaster keep time?

sthaug@nethelp.no
> I just got a Netapp box installed where I work,
> and the damn thing doesn't keep time properly.
> For some reason, the Netapp time keeps setting itself
> 2 hours behind the current system time.

Sounds like a time zone problem.

> The sysadmin who looks after it in my office claims that Netapp tech
> support told him that the only why to correctly set the time
> is to type rdate on the Netapp box!!!

I haven't found any other way either. Not that rdate is a big deal,
but I'd like to have it run regularly, *without* enabling rsh access
to the NetApp. I'd like ntp even better, of course :-)

Btw, our F330 is about 30 secs fast after 14 days of uptime.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

How does a Netapp toaster keep time?

Kenneth Whittaker
craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got a Netapp box installed where I work,
> and the damn thing doesn't keep time properly.
> For some reason, the Netapp time keeps setting itself
> 2 hours behind the current system time.

You might experiment with the timezone command.  For example,
I am in US/Pacific time:

roytest> date
Mon Mar 31 14:58:53 CST 1997
roytest> timezone US/Pacific
roytest> date
Mon Mar 31 12:59:06 PST 1997

It sounds like you might be in US/Central, since your filer
was probably built and tested in US/Pacific.

--

Kenneth Whittaker