Considering buying an F330

Caroline Brossi Yates

> *provided i needed RAID5*, that's a no-brainer.  it's noticeably better
> than any of the other RAID5 offerings i've tried, and likely cheaper than

DEC makes a screamingly fast RAID 5 box...

> RAID0+1 with anyone's discs and arrays.  administration interface,
> snapshots, ease of dumping and nice blue faceplate (just kidding) are all
> factors for me, too.

Service is also an important factor, which NetApp is +very+ adept at.

David, if you buy F330s, though, make sure they send you BLUE NettApp
tee-shirts. We bought a pair of F330s last fall and are still waiting
for ours. Maybe their sales department needs to take lessons
from their support department... ho hum!

-Caroline

Considering buying an F330

Ragnar Lonn
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Caroline Brossi Yates wrote:

> Service is also an important factor, which NetApp is +very+ adept at.

I second that. NetApp support is great! Regarding whether or not one
should buy a NetApp filer I would say it depends very much on what you
want to do with it. I'm going to use ours for news and I think it will
be very good for that purpose. I've heard people were satisfied using
NetApp's for mail, www, and user directories as well. Of course, a NetApp
isn't the same thing as a 'RAID system' - a NetApp is an NFS server
utilizing RAID technology. If you go and buy an external RAID unit you
would still have to hook it up to some kind of computer to make it an NFS
server (if that's what you need). If you only want a fast disk subsystem
for some machine you should probably buy one of those external RAID
towers or something. Clariion and Eurologic makes decent ones, I
think (I am using a small Eurologic Voyager 3000 unit which has worked
great so far).

> David, if you buy F330s, though, make sure they send you BLUE NettApp
> tee-shirts. We bought a pair of F330s last fall and are still waiting
> for ours. Maybe their sales department needs to take lessons
> from their support department... ho hum!

Hey, we bought an F540 and didn't haggle too much about the price
either but we never got any T-shirts!!  Is there no justice in
the world at all??

  /Ragnar, Algonet