Broken file on CIFS Share

Alexander Griesser-2

Hey there,

I’ve never seen something like this before, so maybe someone can help me with that.

I do have a file on a CIFS share which can be deleted on a windows client accessing this file, but it immediately reappears after you hit F5 in the explorer window.

On the filer itself (7-mode installation), I can also see this file:

netapp02*> ls "/vol/CIFS_SHARES/some/folder/structure"

.

..

file01.jpg

I’ve mounted this share on a linux system and there it looks like this:

# ls -l

ls: Access to file01.jpg not possible: File or directory does not exist

total 0

-????????? ? ? ? ?            ? file01.jpg

I’m not sure where this is coming from and how to fix that – any ideas?

Running OnTap version is:

NetApp Release 8.2.3P4 7-Mode: Fri May 29 14:06:54 PDT 2015

Best,

Alexander Griesser

Head of Systems Operations

ANEXIA Internetdienstleistungs GmbH

E-Mail: [hidden email]

Web: http://www.anexia-it.com

Anschrift Hauptsitz Klagenfurt: Feldkirchnerstraße 140, 9020 Klagenfurt

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Windbichler

Firmenbuch: FN 289918a | Gerichtsstand: Klagenfurt | UID-Nummer: AT U63216601

Re: Broken file on CIFS Share

Jeff Bryer
We're having the same behaviour on a number of files, except we are running 8.3.2 c-mode.

We've determined there is a stuck CIFS lock on these files preventing them from being deleted.
We don't know why the lock gets stuck though.  It can happen from a variety of clients, and a variety
of versions of Windows.

[...]

E-Mail: [ mailto:[hidden email] | [hidden email] ]

Web: [ http://www.anexia-it.com/ | http://www.anexia-it.com ]

Anschrift Hauptsitz Klagenfurt: Feldkirchnerstraße 140, 9020 Klagenfurt

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Windbichler

Firmenbuch: FN 289918a | Gerichtsstand: Klagenfurt | UID-Nummer: AT U63216601

AW: Broken file on CIFS Share

Alexander Griesser-2
Thanks Jeff!

That was the missing link, I found one client who had a read lock on this file, I kicked the open session using mmc on our domain controller and I was immediately afterwards able to delete the file.