AltaVault

mrlizard23

Hi Toasters,

We are looking at how AltaVault may help with our Backup environment and assist in a move towards a tapeless solution.

We are not 100% NetApp so can’t just rely on SnapVault as I would have in the past.

One biggie would be our SQL maint plan’s dump out .bak files to a share presented from AV.. But is it true WORM or are these files at risk of being deleted by human error?

Appreciate Thoughts? Experiences? Gotchyas? On the AV technology as a whole.

Many Thanks in advance,

Chris.

RE: AltaVault

Steiner, Jeffrey

I've experimented with AVA quite a bit as part of my role. I haven't heard anything about WORM functionality. Its usual function is that it appears as an SMB or NFS share like any other. Behind the scenes, it's slicing and dicing and compressing and deduplicating the data and storing it in the Cloud, but from a user point of view it's just a filesystem.

I made a couple of videos last year based on my own experimentation with AVA.

The first one is setup and operations. I'm using an Oracle database with RMAN, but the logic should apply to SQL with .bak files. The second one is automated DR. It's more of a deep-dive on how you get your data back if something destroys the primary data center.

https://www.brainshark.com/netapp/vu?pi=zHQzxYcxFz2TCHz0

https://www.brainshark.com/netapp/vu?pi=zExzJ1fH3z2TCHz0

RE: AltaVault

mrlizard23

These are brilliant Jeffrey, many thanks for this.

I guess we are just going to have to test this out to see if these .bak files can indeed be deleted from the AVA forever as a result of human error or if they are already safe in the cloud.

How about anyone with real world experience of living with one of these systems?

Kind Regards,

Chris.

RE: AltaVault

Konnerth, Karl

Hi,

AltaVault can backup to a broad range of private and public clouds via S3, SWIFT, etc.

---Karl

RE: AltaVault

Steiner, Jeffrey

Human error could definitely be a problem. It's a filesystem, and you can't actually see the files within the Cloud. It's just a lot of encrypted deduplicated fragments of data in an S3/Swift destination. If you lose the primary AVA system you can regenerate everything so long as you've still got a copy of the encryption keys and you know your S3/Swift credentials, but the data within the Cloud is deliberately unusable by itself. If it was usable, it wouldn't be secure, but it's encrypted.

In my personal opinion, WORM would be a nice addition to the AVA product, like a feature where a file became undeleteable for X days after the file is created, sort of like SnapLock, but you'd have to ask your NetApp rep if there is something on the roadmap along those lines.

I would expect that AVA would have enough security in terms of AD integration that you could lock down the accounts and that you could set the readonly bits, but someone with domain admin privs could still start deleting files if they were reckless or malicious.